Rules & Procedures:
Trophy and Medal Awards:
- Gold Medals will be awarded to the highest scoring beers, usually less than 10% of the entrants, maintaining the prestige of the gold medals. There is no fixed trigger score for gold, the minimum points to achieve gold are decided at the end of the competition based on the 10% top scorers.
- The highest scoring beer in each class will win the respective trophy provided it achieves the gold medal minimum score.
- Silver medals will be awarded to beers displaying excellent qualities in their respective styles.
- The number of gold and silver medals will not exceed one-third of the total entries.
- The BASA “No or Lo” category will be tasted separately and awarded their own trophies, NO ENTRY FEE, thanks to the BASA partnership. A full BJCP evaluation report can be made available (see entry form)
The National Beer Trophy 2023 is partnering with the WINEMAG.CO.ZA to offer the Beer Label Design Awards at a very special cost. You can enter this competition through the SANBT to benefit from this special price of R115 instead of R495 per beer. See the terms and condition for the WINEMAG.CO.ZA Label Design Award by clicking below.
- All entries will receive valuable feedback according to BJCP-sanctioned competitions.
- Option A: If you only want to compete for a trophy or a medal, your beer will be judged, scored, and you will receive a checklist of your beer attributes.
- Option B: If you also want to utilize the professional panel of the National Beer Trophy as a quality control tool, you will receive the full evaluation report and feedback BJCP form. This can serve as a benchmark for quality improvement, helping brewers recalibrate their process.
Eligibility for the National Beer Trophy:
- Only bottled beers from commercial breweries are allowed.
- Keg beers can be entered once they are bottled under the responsibility of the brewer.
- We will make every effort to keep the beers in a refrigerated environment.
- Ratings, comments, and marks will only be communicated to the applicants and will not be published. The breweries opting for the full BJCP evaluation report (usually 3 judges) will receive a copy of them directly. The normal entry (R600+VAT) will receive their score and basic comments.
- No Ciders/Meads are allowed in the competition.
- No home brews, all beers must be commercial samples.
Option A: You just want to win, and get the chance to win a Trophy or a medal, you beer will be judged and scored, and you will receive a checklist of your beer attributes. R600 ex VAT; This cost is unchanged for the last 3 years.
Option B: Not only you want to win, but you use the professional panel of the National Beer Trophy as a quality control tool. Therefore, you will receive the full evaluation and feedback BJCP form so you can study it as a quality benchmark tool. Too often brewers get too used to their own beers, it helps to recalibrate your process. R848 ex VAT
Option C: Label Design Awards can be entered into alone or in addition to the SANBT R100 ex VAT, one extra bottle/packaging will be required.
Only bottled beers from commercial breweries are allowed. Keg beers can be entered once bottled under the responsibility of the brewer.
Deadline for entries is on the 29th of September 2023
6 Bottles/can of at least 250ml per beer – 4 bottles are 440 and over.
Bottled Kegs accepted at your own risk
Delivery to RIDON COMMUNICATION – NEWSPAPER HOUSE – 122 SAINT GEORGES MALL – CAPE TOWN 8001 – TEL 0214225206
We will do our best to keep the beers in a refrigerated environment.
Drink responsibly! Never drink and drive.